Repubblica, first page, November 21, 2007.
– Rumanians, go on with the expulsions.
– The civilisation lost code.
– Europe sliding to disaster with Iran.
– Black Thursday at ‘Borsa’, loans nightmare coming back.
– To kill himself for being called ‘swot’.
– Sharm el Sheikh, six Italian tourists die in an accident.
– Running with music? Beware, is doping.
The only neutral headline tells that on medical prescription there should be only the general indication of the active principle and not the brand name. How comforting….
Inside the newspaper the same music: an avalanche of crimes, accidents, fears and bad predictions.
These are the short news at page 13: Fear in Rome, Twelve years old dead, Blitz in the rom camps….
And the page on comments: What is democracy in the emergency era, with this subtitle: Political inequalities may increase up to irreversible levels, the authority of the advantaged classes may be so strong to make underprivileged people unable to take part to political life.
A look into foreign politics: Today Maya people vote: the highlands population who betrayed Rigoberta Menchù.
The last feature of the newspaper, R2Diary: Wheat: the last shock for Occident and Those long centuries marked by hunger.
Probably I am getting old, but how is it possible that the description of a day in our life has to be so depressing? There is not other news? No other way of presenting facts? Are we really living in the worst possible world?